Nautical Skills Explorer Badge Post 2002
Activity badges are worn on the left arm and in the order in which they are earned.
Complete the requirements below:
1. Develop your skills in one water-based activity to a level where you can operate safely. This could be shown through gaining a personal permit. This should be in a different water-based activity to that used for the Scout Advanced Nautical Skills or Explorer Basic Nautical Skills badge.
2. Know about flares, distress signals, and marine VHF radio and when it is appropriate to use them.
3. Understand and explain the access/mooring issues relating to your activity.
4. Understand and explain the 'nautical rules of the road', Including passing other craft, the International Rules for Preventing Collisions at Sea (IRPCS), light signals, sound signals and the use of channels.
5. Show an understanding of the maintenance required for your craft, and be able to carry out simple repairs over a period of three months.
6. With others, plan and take part in an overnight expedition by water lasting at least 18 hours.